5 Things You Should Never Do to Get Rid of Mold

5 Things You Should Never Do to Get Rid of Mold

Anytime there’s moisture in the air, mold can grow easily. If there is a mold infestation in your house, it’s crucial to get rid of it immediately before it becomes a hazard to your health and home. Mold can be stealthy, invasive, and very difficult to eliminate, especially if you lack the proper knowledge and tools. Read on to learn about five of the most common mistakes homeowners make when trying to eliminate mold – and what to do instead. 

Never Use Products That Aren’t Designed to Kill Mold

One of the most common misconceptions about killing mold is that spraying it with bleach will kill it. However, spraying mold with bleach simply discolors it while the spores get left behind. Trying to remove mold with a solution of bleach and water can also result in it regrowing even faster. Look for disinfectant and mold killer products that are hospital-grade and EPA-registered to be sure that your efforts will eliminate mold and mildew on a molecular level without damaging the surfaces treated.

Never Paint Over Mold

Hardware stores are chock full of mold-resistant paint. However, many people are unaware that applying it over surfaces affected by mold doesn’t actually kill it. Instead of painting over mold, remove as much of it as possible with a cleaning product specially designed to kill mold. Before painting over it, you must ensure that the surface is entirely dry and mold-free.

Never Ignore the Root Cause of the Mold

The root cause of nearly any mold problem is moisture. It’s essential to understand that even if you’re successful in eradicating the mold, it can easily grow back if the room is poorly ventilated, humid, or there’s a water leak (even a very small one) that leaves excess moisture in the air. It is therefore of the utmost importance that you address the moisture issues in tandem with whatever steps you take to remove the mold.

Never Wait to Address a Mold Problem

Another common misconception about mold is that it can take weeks to grow and spread. Really, it takes only 24 to 48 hours after water exposure for mold and mildew to develop. It will then continue to grow until the spores are destroyed, and the source of the moisture is eliminated. Never wait to address a mold problem.

Never Expose Yourself to Harmful Mold

Mold spores are dangerous and can travel in the air while you’re cleaning. If you decide to try tackling a mold problem on your own, wear protective gear. If you have respiratory or immune system issues, it’s recommended to avoid being in any mold-infested space. The best and safest thing for anyone to do when faced with a mold problem is to call a professional for help getting rid of it.

Leave a Comment