The Most Common Places For Fire Damage To Occur In Your Home

One thing no one prepares for is a fire, but that doesn’t change the fact that these are unavoidable sometimes. But knowing where and when fires are most likely to occur in your home can help you protect yourself and your family from any unforeseen harm. Here is a list of the most common places for fire damage to occur in your home.

The Kitchen

The kitchen is the most common place to expect fire damage due to cooking appliances, open flames, and hot surfaces. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of most kitchen fires and related injuries. 

This is why it is extremely important to never leave the kitchen when you’re working with high heat like during frying or boiling and always keep an eye on your kitchen equipment no matter what you’re doing.

Your Bedroom

The second leading cause of most home fires is electrical wiring. However, one thing many people aren’t aware of is the fact that 15% of all electrical fires start in the bedroom according to the U.S Fire Administration fire reports.

This is why you should be watchful of any appliance that makes use of an electrical cord in your bedroom. You should also make it a point to replace old/worn-out outlets and avoid plugging too many devices on at the same time.

Your Living Room

Heating equipment is another leading cause of home fires, with chimneys being the most likely ones yet to cause fire damage in your home.

With that being said, be sure to have your chimney cleaned before using it during the winter, and keep every piece of furniture at least three inches away from your chimney. Additionally, you should make sure there’s a screen at your fireplace, and don’t ever leave a fire unattended.

Your Attic/ Basements

Attics and basements are mostly used to store items that you sometimes forget about. The problem is a ton of these items are flammable like old pictures, clothing, or even papers.

As per the U.S Fire Administration, 13% of electrical fires start in these neglected spaces and 88% of said electrical fires are caused by old/malfunctioning equipment.

Your Laundry Room

The laundry room is one place that’s often overlooked when a house is being fireproofed. But it might shock you to know that about 4% of all house fires occur in the laundry room. And dryer fires cause 92% of all laundry room fires as per the National Fire Protection Agency.

To avoid this, simply don’t overload your washer or dryer, and ensure that your appliances are plugged into outlets with the proper voltage.

Whereas having to deal with the aftermath of a house fire can feel overwhelming, doing it on your own will only compound the issues and feelings of uncertainty. Fortunately, there are experienced professionals who can help you every step of the way, ensuring safety, the restoration of your home to its pre-fire state (or even better), and peace of mind.